Red Wing Fire Department
Recalled Dehumidifier to Blame for Ferrin’s Furniture Fire
On Monday, May 20, at 09:57 a.m., the Red Wing Fire Department responded to a reported fire alarm activation located at 301 Main St. It was quickly determined that the fire alarm was due to a working structure fire in the rear of the building. Fire attack crews quickly discovered the fire in the basement and extinguished it within 20 minutes of arrival. Fire, heat and water damage was contained to the room of origin. Light to moderate smoke damage was noted throughout the remainder of the building.
Early detection of this fire by the building’s automatic fire alarm system was crucial in regards to life safety and property conservation. Without this vital system, the outcome would certainly be far worse.
A thorough fire investigation was conducted by Red Wing Fire Department investigators and investigators from Whitemore Fire Consultants, Inc. Based on the fire scene examination, fire pattern analysis, and interviews conducted, the area of origin for this fire was in the southwest corner of the basement. The recalled dehumidifier was in use at the time and the fire originated within the appliance. The make of the dehumidifier was identified as a Soleus Air by Gree.
Gree dehumidifiers currently have several models recalled under the brand names of Danby, De’Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, GE, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, Soleus Air, and Super Clima. These appliances tend to severely overheat, smoke, and burst into flames. Nationwide, they have been related to hundreds of fires with millions of dollar of loss, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC). If you suspect your appliance is affected, stop using the appliance immediately, and follow the links below for instructions.