Animal Control

Stray Animals

Stray Dogs

To report a missing dog, call the Goodhue Humane Society during business hours at 651.388.5286. To inquire about a missing dog, please call or come to the Law Enforcement Center and ask for an officer.

Stray Cats

The Red Wing Police Department does not pick up cats. Cat inquiries should be directed to the Humane Society by calling 651.388.5286 during business hours.

Pet Ordinance

To ensure that pets don’t offend neighbors, the following city ordinances have been established:

  • Pets are not allowed to run at large but must be secured on a durable leash or chain or confined indoors at all times. The pet leash must be controlled by a person of suitable age and capability.
  • Dogs and cats (five months of age or more) are required to wear tags at all times which show current licensing obtained from the Humane Society.
  • Dogs must have current rabies inoculation tags obtained from the veterinary clinic affixed to their collars at all times.
  • It is unlawful for the owner to retain a dog or cat that has been declared dangerous unless there have been sanctions placed on the dog or cat and the owner is complying with the requirements set forth by ordinance.
  • Pets may not interfere with any Peace Officer or other Animal Control Agency affiliated with the City of Red Wing Police in the performance of their duty to enforce ordinances.
  • Dogs must be kept from barking, howling and whining. Cats are not allowed to emit loud or unusual noises.
  • Pets are not allowed to defecate upon public property or the private property of another without the pet owner immediately removing the excrement and disposing of it in a sanitary manner. Pet owners must have in their possession the necessary equipment and supplies for excrement removal whenever they are with their pet on public or private property of another.
  • On a pet owner’s premises, pet excrement may not accumulate for more than seven days or in excess of three days if there are multiple dogs or cats.