Firearms Permits

Permits to Purchase

The Red Wing Police Department will process applications for Permits to Purchase a Firearm (PDF) for all applicants who reside within the city limits of Red Wing. You may apply for a Permit to Purchase a Firearm by completing the Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application - Permit to Purchase/Transfer form.

Applying for a Permit

Applying for a Permit to Purchase is free. The permit is valid for one year. Application forms (PDF) can be downloaded or picked up during office hours at the Goodhue County Law Enforcement Center or mailed to you upon request. The office is open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. excluding holidays. Completed applications can be mailed to the Law Enforcement Center, attn: Janelle Ahern.

Permits to Carry

Permits to Carry for residents of Goodhue County must be processed through the Goodhue County Sheriff’s Department.

Private Party Record of Transfer

This form should be used when transferring a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon between two private parties without a federal firearms dealer.

More Information

Further information and restrictions regarding Permits to Purchase and Carry can be found at the BCA webpage.