Paid On Call Firefighters
A Paid-on-Call Firefighter will serve on an intermittent basis to support and/or augment the full-time, regular Firefighters. This individual will perform emergency work in the protection of life and property from fire and other hazards, will operate Fire Department vehicles, assist in the treatment of emergency medical problems and emergency rescue and participate in public education details.
The beginning hourly rate for a Paid-on-Call Firefighter is $12 per hour. Once the beginning / probationary period is satisfactorily completed and Firefighter II and First Responder Certificates are obtained, the hourly rates increases to $13 per hour. Paid-on-Call Captains earn $15 per hour. They also become members of the Fire Relief Association.
The City of Red Wing provides all required training. Training sessions consist of two evening meetings per month.
Paid-on-Call Firefighters are required to respond to a minimum of 33% of the paged responses. Paid-on-Calls are also required to attend a minimum of 50% of the annual training sessions.
The following minimum qualifications must be met for consideration:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Possess a valid driver's license (a Minnesota Class B with airbrake endorsement or equivalent is required to drive fire apparatus).
- Must reside within a 20 minute response time from the Fire Station 1.
- Provide documentation of the legal right to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- Must complete a Fire Fighter I course that is Vocational/Technical approved within six months of hire.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will proceed with an oral interview, general knowledge written test and a position-related physical agility test. Once a conditional offer has been made, the finalist will submit to a physical exam which consists of a functional capacity assessment, pulmonary function test, electrocardiogram with chest X-ray and a drug and alcohol test.
A driving and criminal history background check will also be performed.