Police Chief

Ask the Chief

“Ask The Chief” is a weekly post allowing readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in the city of Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance our community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs, and the Department in general.

Submit your question to askthe.policechief@ci.red-wing.mn.us. 

View All Posts

Jan 13

December 30, 2019 - Disability Plates and Permits

Posted on January 13, 2020 at 9:09 AM by Kate Berg

December 30, 2019

Ask the Chief

Q: Could you help me share with the citizens of Red Wing that it is now easier to get disability plates? The new law helped my elderly dad get his disability plates from his physical therapist who is assisting with my dad's recovery.

Image of a disability license plate above the words "Disability Plates & Permits" with the RWP

A: I sure will--you are referring to HF211*/SF653/CH3, a new law that became effective on August 1, 2019. This new law adds licensed physical therapists to the list of health professionals who can provide a medical statement to obtain disability plates and permits. I am glad this new law helped make your dad's recovery easier.

A letter from a licensed physical therapist can be used for requesting disability plates and permits, making it easier to obtain these plates or permits for those who need them. Rep. Jennifer Schultz (DFL-Duluth) and Sen. Jeff Howe (R-Rockville) sponsored the bill. HF211*/SF653/CH3


1. Governor Walz Signs Bill" https://mn.gov/governor/news/?id=1055-375889

Please Note:

Please feel free to share this Q & A on your social media sites or in your organization’s newsletter.