Police Chief

Ask the Chief

“Ask The Chief” is a weekly post allowing readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in the city of Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance our community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs, and the Department in general.

Submit your question to askthe.policechief@ci.red-wing.mn.us. 

View All Posts

Aug 05

July 20, 2020 - Pet Licensing

Posted on August 5, 2020 at 11:25 AM by Kate Berg

July 20, 2020

Ask the Chief

Q: Does the City of Red Wing require dogs and cats to be licensed, and if so, how can we get a license for our pet?

Words "You Ask; We Answer; Submit your questions to askthe.policechief@ci.red-wing.mn.us" with

A: Great question, as unlicensed pets is something the Red Wing Police Department deals with quite often. In 2019, RWPD handled 513 calls for service involving pets at large (running lose, not controlled by leash) or unlicensed. We also responded to 27 animal bite cases in 2019 and if you cannot produce proof of rabies vaccination for your pet, it must be quarantined.

City of Red Wing Code, Section 10.06 states that it is unlawful for the owner of any dog or cat, six months of age or more, to fail to obtain a license therefor from the City of Red Wing Animal Control Unit or its designee. The City of Red Wing designee is the River Bluffs Humane Society located at 1213 Brick Avenue, Red Wing, Minnesota. A household may not have more than three dogs over the age of 6 months.

Pet license shall expire when the next rabies inoculation is due. You must have proof of rabies vaccination, which is the rabies vaccination certificate provided by your veterinarian. You may have your vet email the rabies certificate to the River Bluffs Humane Society at info@rbhspets.org.

The fee schedule or cost to license your pet consists of a one-time fee of $5.00 for cost of the tag (if initial tag is lost, there is a $5 replacement fee when renewing). The annual pet license fee is $10 per year for pets that are spayed/neutered. Intact pet license fees are $20 per year. Example: if your pet's rabies vaccination is good for three years, and your pet is intact (capable of producing offspring) the total license cost is $60; if your pet were spayed/neutered, it would be $30.

Thank you again for your question and if you have any further questions regarding your pet(s), feel free to contact the River Bluffs Humane Society at 651-388-5286 or RWPD Community Service Officer Matison Schoeder at 651-267-2609.

1. River Bluffs Humane Society, Red Wing, located online at https://rbhspets.org

2. City of Red Wing Code, Section 10.06, Dog and Cat Regulations and Licensing.

3. City of Red Wing Fee Schedule.

Please Note:

Please feel free to share this Q & A on your social media sites or in your organization’s newsletter.