Proposed Rental License Program
WHY? So every tenant has a safe and healthy place to live.
Red Wing is committed to ensuring a healthy place to live for everyone, and the Red Wing 2040 Community Plan Strategy 8.C.1. calls for Red Wing to implement a Rental License Program that will help accomplish that goal. We’re looking for your thoughts and feedback during this planning process. The program is proposed to start in early 2022.
Tenants: Do you have a home safety concern right now?
Call our City of Red Wing inspections department at 651-385-3623. We may be able to assist.
Give Your Feedback to Council Members:
To connect with your Council members and Mayor at any time, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule & Documents
August 9, 2021: Continued Public Hearing & Second (and Final) Reading of the Ordinance: The public will be able to address the Council directly during the Monday, August 9, 2021, City Council meeting held in the City Hall Council Chambers. Council will listen to community members and consider approving the second and final reading of the ordinance (law). The ordinance must have two readings before it can be enacted. Council approved the first reading (the introduction of the ordinance) at its July 26, 2021, meeting.
What’s Happened So Far: Meetings, Materials, and Recordings
- On July 26, 2021, City Council held a public hearing and listened to the public. Council then unanimously approved a first reading (an introduction) of the ordinance (law). View the meeting segment and read the full report.
- On June 14, 2021, staff presented the updated program basics and Council listened to public input. View the meeting segment and read the full report.
- On May 20, 2021, staff held a virtual public meeting. View the meeting.
- On April 26, 2021, staff provided a brief overview at the Council meeting. View the meeting portion here or read the summary materials here.
- On March 24, 2021, City Council held a workshop to discuss key elements of the program. The virtual meeting was open to the public. View the meeting here. You can also read the minutes and meeting materials.
- On November 10, 2020, City Council held a workshop to review tenant survey results and discuss more details for the proposed program. The virtual meeting was open to the public. View the meeting here. You can also read the minutes and meeting materials.
- The week of October 14, 2020, flyers and surveys were sent to all Red Wing tenants. Read the survey report.